- 2 cups water
- 1 cup apple cider or white distilled vinegar
- 6 grams (2 teaspoons) kosher salt
- 3 to 4 coins peeled, sliced ginger *
- 3 to 4 coins peeled, sliced turmeric *
- 2 teaspoons whole telicherry peppercorns
- About 1 pound carrots, preferably organic
- Bring the water, vinegar, and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring to combine and dissolve the salt. Remove from the heat, cover, and set aside.
- Put the ginger, turmeric, and peppercorns into the bottom of a sanitized 1 quart, wide-mouth canning jar.
- Remove the tops and trim enough of the bottoms of the carrots to be about 1 inch shorter than the height of the jar. Then, cut each into halves or quarters depending on its thickness so that the pieces are about ¾-inch thick.
- Using a canning funnel pour the warm vinegar mixture over the carrots, stopping about ¼-inch from the top. Put on the top and refrigerate for at least 12 hours, but up to 2 months.